Parsnips, apples and pecans give this cake a deliciously succulent texture with an earthy, nutty twist perfect for autumn.
The mixed spice gives it a warming kick, while the mascarpone is combined with maple syrup, for a naturally sweet and creamy middle.
The recipe has been shared with Macmillan Cancer Support by Anthony Barnes, executive chef at St Pierre Marriott Hotel and Country Club in Chepstow.
Situated in a converted stately 14th century Welsh manor and situated on 400 acres of parkland in the Wye Valley, the St Pierre is renowned for its afternoon teas.
Anthony says, “This cake recipe actually came about by accident – I had to make carrot cake for an afternoon tea and for some unknown reason I didn’t have single a carrot in the building! So I dug out a recipe from my little black book for Parsnip & Maple Syrup Cake with mascarpone frosting. And ever since then I have been a convert; despite the fact I am not a particular lover of parsnips!
“Everyone that tries it thinks it’s amazing so I keep making it due to popular demand.”
This cake would be a lovely talking point at any World’s Biggest Coffee Morning, as your guests try to guess the surprise vegetable ingredients. You can find out how to host your one, or see events taking place in your area, here.
This recipe is one of six being shared with us by some of Wales’s top chefs and bakers in support of World’s Biggest Coffee Morning. You can see the other recipes here.
175g butter, plus extra for greasing
250g demerara sugar
100ml maple syrup
3 large eggs
250g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
250g parsnips, peeled and grated
1 medium eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
50g pecans, roughly chopped
zest 1 small orange
icing sugar, to serve
For the filling
250g tub mascarpone
3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Grease 1x baking tin and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Melt butter, sugar and maple syrup in a pan over gentle heat, then cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs into this mixture, then stir in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice, followed by the grated parsnip, apple, chopped pecans, orange zest.
- Pour mixture into the baking tin, then bake for 25-30 mins until the tops spring back when pressed lightly.
- Cool the cake slightly in the tin before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Just before serving, mix together the mascarpone and maple syrup. Spread over the top of the cake and swirl to a pattern.
St Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, St Pierre Park, Chepstow, NP16 6YA.