Just because you have dietary restrictions, it doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a great big slice of chocolate cake at your World’s Biggest Coffee Morning. You just need the right cake to get your teeth into.
Luckily, Martyn Watkins, Executive Chef at St David’s Hotel and Spa – Cardiff’s only AA-rated 5-star hotel – has created this succulent raspberry chocolate cake, which is dairy-free, gluten-free, egg-free and vegan.
As Martyn says, “As a chef, I’ve been experimenting with different cakes, to find a cake I can use that covers a wide range of dietary requirements, but still tastes amazing and looks great.
“I love this cake as it tastes as good as it looks, but without eggs, diary and gluten. It’s a clear winner and is always well-received on the afternoon tea we serve here at St David’s Hotel and Spa.”
This recipe is one of six being shared with us by some of Wales’s top chefs and bakers in support of World’s Biggest Coffee Morning. You can see the other recipes here.
You can find out how to host your own coffee morning, or events taking place in your area, here.
Vegan margarine, for greasing
300g gluten-free plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
300g granulated sugar
375 ml soya milk
125 ml rapeseed oil
7 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
40ml soya milk
85g vegan dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
60g icing sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
Fresh raspberries, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Grease a 23cm/9 inch cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt and sugar.
- Pour the soya milk into a medium saucepan and add the oil, raspberry jam and vanilla extract. Place over a medium heat and whisk to combine. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- To make the icing, heat the soya milk in a small saucepan until boiling, then stir in the chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat and whisk in the icing sugar and maple syrup. Set aside to cool before icing the cake.
- Top with a few fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of icing sugar
The St David’s Hotel and Spa, Havannah Street, Cardiff, CF10 5SD