Go Sober for October encourages social drinkers to give up alcohol for a month to help raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Care and support those living with and beyond cancer.
The money raised will help Macmillan Cancer Support in continue to provide services. In Wales, this includes funding nurses, physiotherapists, welfare benefits advisers and information centres in some of Wales’ hospitals, as well as campaigning for better cancer care for patients. One in three of us will get cancer, with more than 130,000 people in Wales currently living with and beyond cancer.
If you’re taking part and wondering what you’re going to drink now that booze is banned for a month, here are six fantastic ideas from some of Cardiff’s best bars.
Piña Colada – by Grill & Shake, The Red Dragon Centre, Cardiff Bay
120ml cream of coconut
120ml pineapple juice
2 cups ice
- Place the cream of coconut and pineapple juice into a blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over the ice, top with a slice of fresh pineapple and serve immediately.
Strawberry milkshake – by Grill & Shake, The Red Dragon Centre, Cardiff Bay
300ml of full fat milk
225g fresh strawberries
3 scoops of ice-cream
Chocolate sauce or strawberry sauce
- Mix the milk, fresh strawberries and ice cream into a blender until smooth.
- Pour into two chilled tall glasses.
- Top with whipped cream, strawberry and finish with strawberry or chocolate sauce and serve immediately.
Strawberry and Mint Delight – by Elliot Ley, bar & restaurant supervisor, Marriott Cardiff
50ml orange juice
50ml cranberry juice
12.5ml gomme juice
Black currant cordial
3 fresh strawberries
5 mint leaves
Fresh lime wedge
- Pour all ingredients (except the mint) into a blender until smooth.
- Put the mint leaves into a glass, poor the drink over, garnish with mint, strawberries and a wedge of lime. Enjoy!
Shirley Temple – by Elliot Ley, bar & restaurant supervisor, Marriott Cardiff
12.5ml elderflower cordial
12.5 ml grenadine
50ml apple juice
2 red apple wedges
- Add the apple juice and elderflower cordial into a shaker and shake well.
- Strain into an iced filled glass and top with lemonade.
- Gently pour the grenadine over and garnish with a couple of red apple wedges for ultimate freshness.
Passionately fruity mocktail, by Corey Palmer, venue manager, Steinbeck & Shaw, Cardiff
25ml fresh passion fruit juice/puree
12.5ml fresh lemon juice
12.5ml grenadine Syrup
75ml fresh orange juice
75ml fresh pineapple juice
- Use cubed ice to shake the cocktail then strain into an iced 15oz glass.
- Garnish with an orange wedge and a cocktail umbrella and enjoy!”
Virgin Mojito by Polo Venetsianos, Assistant Bar Manager, Laguna Kitchen and Bar, Cardiff
2 wedges of fresh lime
A shot of lime juice
6-8 fresh mint leaves
A dash of sugar syrup
Double shot of apple juice
Dash of soda water
Lemon slice for garnish (optional)
- Start by putting the fresh lime and sugar syrup in a glass and mix together.
- Add lime juice and the fresh mint leaves to the mixture and fill the glass to the top with crushed ice.
- Add the apple juice and stir all together.
- Top up with a little more crushed ice and a dash of soda water.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and a small sprig of mint leaves, or as desired.